Thursday 14 October 2010

Shakuhachi and Uguisu

A couple of years ago, in spring, I went out to a local park with my shakuhachi, and recording device and recorded an improvised duet between myself and an uguisu (Japanese Nightingale). Then a few months ago my good friend Mike Sharp, mountaineer, mathematician and master chef, edited the recording.
The result is as below.
http://www.archive.org/details/ShakuhachiAndUguisu


I have never manage to combine the right elements since then, i.e. season, time, place, weather, instrument, recorder, but I will try to do it again.


I do feel rather guilty towards infringing natural laws. The uguisu was probably singing to claim his territory. These sessions often end with the bird flying away. My apologies to Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment